If you give a kid a piece of amber,
And then she is going to have a million questions…
Topics of discussion that came up today, all because of a tiny piece of amber:
- Jurassic Park (of course)
- What is amber, exactly?
- sap vs. resin
- parts of a tree (xylem and phloem, etc)
- respiration vs photosynthesis
- how a tree grows
- How plants protect themselves from pests
- heart rot
- why we use cloth napkins and dish towels vs paper
- tree farms vs cutting forest trees
- oxygen levels in air
- life moving from ocean to land
- how did whales end up back in the ocean?
- blue-green algae
- why do we need oxygen?
- ozone layer
- and probably more, but you get the idea.
I am so pleased and delighted that the wonderbox is continuing to do exactly what I had hoped it would do. And then some.
One Response to “If you give a kid a piece of amber…”